About Me

My photo
If I'm taking I also need to be making. If I'm receiving I need to be giving. If I'm using I need to be producing. This is my creed.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Identity Theft

So here in lies my desperate attempt to blog about something, stay on topic and relate it to art somehow.
I feel that I haven't been doing a very good job thus far, but here we go!

My friend recently found out that there was a mess up somehow with his SSN and since before he was born, a sex offender has been wracking up a scroll length criminal record that applied to my friends record as well.
Since he was sixteen he's been unsuccessfully trying to get a job and wasn't able to understand why, not knowing that the whole time his background checks were coming up with red flags for acts that he did not do.
Thankfully, since he found out, he's been able to take the proper steps and the issue is being resolved.

It's sad for me to think that mistakes like that can happen and that a person's whole reputation and character can be pinned on a number.

The bible says that "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." So I can see how something like this happening is mortifying and why protecting your "number" is so important, but I still don't know how well I'd take it if the same thing happened to me.

As for myself, I express my thoughts and ideas through my comics and pictures. Of course, my style leans towards the Japanese manga style. So, my thought is, because it's such an easily identifiable style, would a person's impression of a different show that they've seen ruin their opinion of the work I do, or devalue my work as art?
But in reality, the style and stories of Japan has truly ingrained itself in my psyche. Just last night I had a dream that was completely in the manga style.
I drew a section of it when I woke up from the dream, and oddly enough the girl resembles a character from a show that my same friend showed me a clip of a while back... the hairstyle anyway. It would be funny if she had had an eye-patch.


















Well, I've still got my resolve, and I don't really plan on changing my whole genre for the sake of a fearful thought, but at the same time I do wish to legitimize my style so that anyone could look at it and be pulled in to see what it's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment