About Me

My photo
If I'm taking I also need to be making. If I'm receiving I need to be giving. If I'm using I need to be producing. This is my creed.

Friday, March 8, 2013

My Irrational Fear of Playing Dress Up

So, I've talked about change in drawing style, change in attitudes, change in processes (sort of), so now, what about changing one's self? I'm talking in the physical appearances aspect: clothes, hair etc. I've never put a lot of effort into how I look. Anyone who knows me know's that's the case. I'm sporty, simple comfortable and casual, all of which generally do not lean towards being "girly".
I'm bringing it up because my friend is taking me tomorrow for a makeover. She says she wants to make me more girly. She won't tell me how... just to "trust her".

I don't know that I do.....

I've thought to myself that I should dress up, that I should try to be more "pretty". But I know I'm pretty, so I guess right there lies the inner conflict. Yuck! Just saying girly and pretty so much is making me agitated.
It feels like I'm trying to crawl into someone else's skin, or like I'm putting myself inside a glass case.
Whenever I try the girly thing.... people give me too much attention. Like what I was before wasn't worth looking at. I don't mind hearing, "Wow! You look beautiful!" but really what it means is, "Wow! You finally look like a girl!". Otherwise, I'd hear the same thing when I'm in my jeans and a hoodie. I guess I just don't get it. There's some loop that I'm not a part of, or some universal knowledge that is unable to penetrate  into my brain. At any rate, I don't want to go... with every ounce of my being, I do not want to go.
But I still have that nagging feeling that I should change. Is it pressure from everyone around me? I don't know.



This shouldn't be so painful for me... but it is. And, I don't know why. I'm trying to think of more to say to help myself figure it out, but nothing's coming. Changing yourself is just hard, I guess.
This is all I've got:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment