About Me

My photo
If I'm taking I also need to be making. If I'm receiving I need to be giving. If I'm using I need to be producing. This is my creed.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Words Without Pictures

Sorry to rip off your blog title Carla, it would've been different if I could find my sister's camera.
Today I thought I'd share one of the hardships of my career as an art student.... Stuff gets destroyed.
Sadly, I'm finding that this is more true with my 3D artwork than my 2D, but I've had catastrophes either way.
My latest casualty is my body armor, which I cannot show a picture of because I've misplaced the camera. I'm sorry!
But, as always, looking on the bright side I know how I can make the re-do better. Props to Dave for trying to help me out, but the repair job that we did for it broke as well. It's too bad, so sad. What I'm finding out is that the fragility and (usually negatively) spontaneous aspects of 3D design are not to my liking. It's nice to be able to make a mark, and be able to simply erase it if I don't like it. Then, when I want to store the work, or transport it, it's as simple as putting it in a portfolio. Also, in regards to the firing aspect of ceramics, I'm finding that I really don't like relying on others for the completion of my work. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that the faculty at CNM do an good job of taking care of our projects, but the period between when I've done my part and I'm waiting for the piece to be fired is like being in the emergency room or at the MVD.
Maybe at this point I'm just ranting because quite a bit has gone wrong with this project, but at the same time I haven't hated the process. I think that I am understanding more and more how the different 3D processes work and I've enjoyed them so far (with the exception of those odious coke bottle candles!).
So, here I am about to tackle this project again, hoping that what I've just shared with you will help me to understand myself and my work a little better and result in a good final outcome.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment