About Me

My photo
If I'm taking I also need to be making. If I'm receiving I need to be giving. If I'm using I need to be producing. This is my creed.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wax Casting Mayhem!

I'm making 9 coca-cola bottle candles for our casting project.
The beginning of this project was a bit bumpy, because I couldn't figure out how to release the wax from the plaster mold. Thank God for Karissa who was way smarter than me and, da da daaaa~, Googled it.
So, that problem being solved, the only thing that made the project difficult was the big hole in the mold. 
I got a few good candles out of it, but then I started having a problem with the wax caving in.
It started out small, and only about every other one, then progressed to the point that every candle had a huge hole in the side.
These three are actually before it got really bad.


I looked online and tried everything I could think of and then I realized... "Doy! There's a huge hole in the mold!"

It's kind of hard to see here, but there are major cracks all along the sides of the mold. I think that the wax cools closer to the top and creates a barrier so that when I add more wax it can't reach the bottom and fill in more, and then the wax cools, condenses and creates the indentation. That's my guess anyway.
So, I'm going to make a new mold. 

I actually found a line down the middle of the coke bottle that I used to make this originally! That means that it should work without a hitch this time. (Since last time the mold broke pulling the coke bottle out. I'm excited that this next one will work better.
Now, in relation to change, I'm just glad that I'm able to recognize and apply change when I see that it's necessary. Though, I wish I would've just recast it in the beginning when Danielle had suggested it. 
I guess because I had gotten a few good ones in the beginning, it took a while to register. 
Anyway, wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment